Re: lxr/bonsai

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 03:06 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Murray Cumming">
>
> > You mean that we would regularly reinstall lxr/bonsai from the cvs
> > versions of lxr/bonsai? I don't see a need for that.
>
> Basically, yes: A copy in our cvs that is regularly merged with upstream
> cvs, and then merged against our own modifications - on demand, not on
> autopilot.
>
> > Personally, I would just install a working version, document what was
> > installed, and not touch it until it stops working.
>
> Then we get stuck with old, unmaintainable software running on our servers,
> which is a recipe for screw-ups and pain, ie. what happened last time. We
> need to manage our software this time around.

It didn't seem to degrade over time the last few times that it was
installed, apart from when we ran out of disk space, and I don't think
that much maintenance was done or required. I don't think that we need
to patch it, so there shouldn't be a need to update patches when we
upgrade it.

Conversely, I don't like the idea of lxr/bonsai breaking randomly when
the lxr/bonsai cvs repository changes. I wouldn't recommend that
somebody updated something on their regular desktop or server if it
wasn't broken. Security updates do require this I suppose, but I doubt
that we'd be any more or less secure at any one time by doing this with
lxr/bonsai. Anyway, I'm not making sysadmin policy here, so just take
this as opinion.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com