Re: lxr/bonsai

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 22:57 +0700, Ross Golder wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 18:47 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Sorry if this has been discussed before, but the archives for this list
> > are not online yet. Maybe it's a very new list.
> >

> No. The list archives for all lists have also been down for quite a
> while, due to corrupted Namazu indexes. It's on our to-do list.
>
> > lxr/bonsai have been offline for a long time now, and I don't know of
> > any plan to get them back online. I'm finding it very difficult to
> > maintain my modules without them.
> >

> Understood. Also on the to-do list.
>
> > Can I speed things up by offering to install it for you? I'm not much of
> > a system administrator, but I have installed them before, and I
> > documented it so that someone else could do it quickly too. I wouldn't
> > be of much use as a regular member of the sysadmin team, however.
> >

> Fair enough. If given sufficient access, roughly how would you go about
> installing them?

I would install them from source, as described here,
http://www.murrayc.com/learning/linux/mozilla_webtools/lxr_and_bonsai.shtml
and in the linked instructions. I'm sure that one or two things have
changed since those documents were written, so I would do a local
install first to test it.

> As I understand it, we have a fairly strict RPM packaging policy,
> whereby you will also need to provide SRPMS of any packages or
> dependencies you install. If you provide (links to) the SRPMS, I'd be
> willing to attempt the install on the webserver.

I doubt that any usable SRPMs exist, so that could take a while, given
that I've never created an RPM. But if that's the only acceptable way,
and if nobody else is likely to do it, then I could try.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com