Re: [GNOME-India] foss.in 2008...

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Johnny Jacob <jjohnny novell com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 16:05 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
>> For example, I was looking at these little single-piece Celeron-based
>> boxes that are being targeted towards rural areas, and the current
>> footprint of a full-fledged GNOME system would probably bring these
>> things (~256 megs of RAM) their knees, even though there's no good
>> reason for this to be so.
>
> http://live.gnome.org/LightweightGNOME

Isn't that page more geared towards "Rip out stuff from GNOME and
replace some stuff with XFCE stuff" ? It doesn't seem to talk about
improving the CPU/memory reqs of GNOME itself.

I think people (and those poor celerons) are silently, um, clamouring
for a GNOME with a lighter footprint; not for a light GNOME-ish DE
(which is what XFCE is ;p).

Hence, v ken haz sum opteamaizashioners? :^)

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan