Re: String freeze break for gnome-software for 42.1

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 10:59 PM Philip Withnall <philip tecnocode co uk> wrote:
Hi all,

Hey!

I had a draft ready on the same day you sent your request, but needed clarification. Pinged you in the Hackers room but didn’t get any response and then forgot about it.

Can we have a string freeze break for gnome-software to add more
information about file system permissions required by flatpak apps?
[…]
I realise you’re probably not going to be happy about this!

I’m actually happy that you approached this the right way and took us into account. Bonus points for the clear presentation and listing the strings so we don’t have to hunt them down. The timing is also not the worst, so not much to be unhappy about!

 1. Add these new translatable strings now, in time for the 42.1
release (this week). This means the bug will be fixed, but the strings
will likely not be translated in many languages.

That would have been 10 days for three strings that are not too complex, at a time when there isn’t much other activity in other modules. Looked relatively reasonable. I would not have beent against landing this right after you requested it. You said “this week” though, which threw me off. Considering you just bumped, I supposed you indeed meant 10 days from that date. Anyway, it’s too late for this.

 2. Add these new translatable strings after the 42.1 release, to give
more time for them to be translated ready for 42.2.

This one definitely looks great now.

 3. Don’t add these new strings on 42.x at all, and use the
inappropriate-but-already-existing “can read/write all your data”
string instead.

No, I don’t think this option is necessary at all. Worst case, we can go with option 2.

So here is approval 1/2 from i18n for option 2.

Cheers.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker