Re: Events for translators

Дана 3.7.17. у 11:59, Carlos Soriano пише:
Message: 1
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 11:23:42 +0200
From: Carlos Soriano <csoriano gnome org>
To: gnome-i18n <gnome-i18n gnome org>
Subject: Events for translators

Hello all,

Lately we have been trying to define what events GNOME can sponsor and how.
You can read more in the wiki [0]
Hi there!

Marko here from the Serbian GNOME team. I am also an member of the Mozilla Serbian team, and I participated in two translation races (called L10n hackathons on the Mozilla side) and
I hope I can help you a bit by sharing my experiences.
One of the ideas is a "Translation race" event. Basically various people
get together to learn how to translate and translate some module with some
of you.

However I need a little of help to figure out how that event could be. The
questions I have are:
- How much time do you think it would take to set up, teach and translate a
module?
This one is hard. There are many variables. The process of creating an account on the Damned Lies and setting up the translation tool wouldn't take long. Maybe 15 minutes max. But the time for translating one module depends on the size of the module itself. For example, GIMP module is out of the question (both the interface and the documentation ones). So that probably means that we would guide newbies through translating some smaller interface module (ie. gnome-characters). That would probably take one classroom hour (45 minutes) to translate and review the translations. Also, some locales may not have available interface modules for translating, like ours. We are at 99%. We do have documentation modules for translating available but those are quite harder than the
interface ones.
- What items would be interesting for you? (e.g. stickers, some cake,
snacks,....)
A snack/coffee/juice is a must for any event. There should also be stickers for people to have some kind of souvenir/memory of the event, to make them want to attend/participate in the next one.
- How many people could a single organiser handle in a comfortable way?
Mostly depends on the person and his/her teaching skills and organizing skills. I wouldn't go over 5
persons per organizer.
- Do you think "translated one module per person" is doable in that time
and a good way to measure the success of the event? If not, what do you
propose as a measurement of success of the event?
Modules aren't equal, sadly. I wouldn't measure success by the number of translated modules.

In Mozilla, every l10n team leader was required to create the work plan for any given two-day
hackathon, via an pull request on GitHub.
At the end of the second day, coordinator for the given locale reviewed the progress of the group and reported the percentage of the completed tasks. Even the members of the group reported their own view of the completed tasks by fulfilling a survey at the end of the hackathon.

I would suggest that every locale's coordinator construct a work plan for the translation race which would include goals and ways to measure success because every locale is somewhat different and the coordinator for the given locale knows the 'vibe' of his/her community the best so he/she can decide
how to measure success.
- Do you have a canonical guide an orgnizer should follow and make the
people follow? (similar to /Newcomers).
I'm not aware of the one on the GNOME side. You may find inspiration for writing one by looking at the canonical wiki page for the l10n Mozilla hackathon done in Barcelona[0].

[0] https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Meetings/2017_Barcelona_Workshop
--
Marko M. Kostić