Re: Web interface for translation for GNOME

For what is worth, Xfce uses Transifex to manage translations. it used to be an instance installed in Xfce servers for long time, but recently it migrated to the hosted version (in transifex.com). Two issues were identified and might never be solved: translators' comments are removed by the Tx [1] and old/obsolete messages marked by gettext are also removed [2]. In spite of that, its Web Editor is indeed good.

My opinion, if it counts, I prefer Damned Lies the way it is today.

[1] http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-i18n/2013-July/008500.html
[2] http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce-i18n/2013-August/008534.html

Cheers,
Rafael Ferreira

2013/8/28 Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki gmail com>
2013/8/29 Fran Dieguez <fran dieguez mabishu com>:
> On 28/08/13 13:51, Andre Klapper wrote:
>
>> That's simply not true. If you are a translator you go to
>> http://l10n.gnome.org/ and download your file, edit it with a local
>> translation tool, and upload it again.
>

> Having a web interface for translate GNOME could simplify our current
> workflow for people that are not tech savvy.
>
> In small teams as our Galician team, we have a lot of problems to maintain
> translators just because people that could help us with translations doesn't
> have a lot of technical background. Even if our workflow is as simple as
> download a file, edit it and upload it.
>
> A lot of people have given up translating just because is a tedious task
> (maybe not for me, and for people that got used to it).
>
> An ideal workflow could be:
>  - Sing up in this (xxx) service.
>  - Enroll our team
>  - Translate what ever you want online
>  - And our reviewers will do they work after yours.
>
> Obviously this online tool have to enable us to download those translations
> to review them manually or with some custom tools (pology, language-tools,
> custom scripts, etc).
>
> Just my honest opinion. I don't know what other language groups members
> think, but definitely could be a major improvement in our ~daily work
> translating GNOME.
>
> Regards

If I'm not mistaken, LXDE translators are using pootle and I also
heard there's a GNOME translation team also being using it. I also
have asked somewhat similar question a few years ago here and was too
lazy to configure it. By it I meant pootle server.

http://pootle.translatehouse.org/

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis