Re: Mistakes in doc translations

Op Ma, 2012-04-16 om 18:34 -0400 skryf Shaun McCance:
> And I realize many translators are used to basically owning their own
> po files and not having to worry about other people editing them. But
> module maintainers have to be able to fix syntax errors. And until we
> get better tool support (like the kinds of checks you all already have
> for format strings), we'll continue to see these mistakes.

The workflow I use is to rather download the file afresh from Damned
Lies, since I don't always know if I have the right versions of
intltool, etc. on my system. I trust the files from Damned Lies to be
based on a correctly extracted POT file, and to contain the latest from
version control.

For a maintainer I think it might be useful to contact translators who
might have submitted something like this to ensure that our skills
improve over time.

Virtaal and pofilter would have been able to detect these and other
errors, so I want to encourage translators to use it. They seem to
complain about a few cases that might be ok (mostly reordering of tags),
but it helps a lot to find issues that can affect the functionality and
quality of the translated version. I see that it doesn't give a detailed
error of the tag or property that is wrong, so maybe we can work on
identifying such cases to improve it for a next version, but it already
saves a lot of time, I believe.

Shaun, pofilter flags a few remaining issues after your edits. I guess
as long as it builds, it isn't catastrophe, but I thought you might be
interested. (Or maybe I don't know how much freedom we actually have to
alter the tags when translating. :-)

Keep well
Friedel

--