Re: Q3 GNOME quarterly report

El dc 23 de 11 de 2011 a les 22:26 +0100, en/na Christian Kirbach va
escriure:
> Am Mittwoch, den 09.11.2011, 21:26 +0100 schrieb Kenneth Nielsen:
> > Den 09-11-2011 20:16, Gil Forcada skrev:
> > > El dc 09 de 11 de 2011 a les 16:47 +0100, en/na Kenneth Nielsen va
> > > escriure:

> > point was exactly, that the number of commits should make a perfectly
> > reasonably metric for _comparisons_ of activity, which can be used for
> > the kind of "general terms" measurements that you are talking about.
>
> Hi
>
> I tend to strongly disagree here; very little conclusions can be drawn
> from looking
> at the numbers of commits, even considering the total number of strings
> updated
> in a 6 month release cycle.
> Commits can be anything between adding yourself to the list of
> translators
> and adding a new, entirely translated file of fivethousand new strings,
> I do not
> see the benefit of looking at the number of commits. Correct me if I am
> wrong.
>
> Is it not just the plain number of words in strings translated that
> matter?
> Or less precise, the number of strings translated?

My point in this was that for "real" and meaningful statistics we
already have damned-lies, so if you want to see any data regarding a
language, module or release set go there and figure it out.

But the quarterly reports are meant to be a general overview of the
projects, so a general overview of i18n and l10n teams is how many
commits have been made.

Just take the QA team as an example: they can say that in a given
quarter there has been 500 bugs closed and 4000 open. What does that
mean for QA team? Mostly nothing because half of the 500 closed could
come from a project which was abandoned and half of the 4000 open could
be from a project imported.

It is just giving numbers for the sake of giving numbers. To feel that
something is moving and that there are translators working all year long
trying to improve each of them their own language statistics and
quality.

Gil Forcada

[ca] guifi.net - una xarxa lliure que no para de créixer
bloc: http://gil.badall.net
planet: http://planet.guifi.net