Re: Q3 GNOME quarterly report

El dc 09 de 11 de 2011 a les 16:47 +0100, en/na Kenneth Nielsen va
escriure:
> Den 09-11-2011 16:14, Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy skrev:

> >> commit in bulk? across modules???
> >
> > I mean they are not small and beautiful commits like source code
> > patches (or I'm too accustomed to git programming style in this
> > regard).
>
> Ahh, then I understand. But as long as we agree on that, commits are
> still a somewhat useful activity metric. If you are updating a fully
> translated desktop and ends up with a fully translated desktop, then a
> commit should roughly equal the following number of strings:
>
> number_of_updated_strings_per_cycle/(number_of_modules *
> number_of_updates_per_module_in_a_cycle)
>
> For non-100% languages there should also be a growth factor in there
> somewhere.
>
> But the point is, that as long as non of those numbers changes
> dramatically from one cycle to the next, number of commits should still
> make a reasonable number for translator activity _comparison_ between
> cycles.
>

> In any case, if we want a real number bad enough. I should certainly be
> possible to pull the po-file from before and after the commit and use a
> podiff tool to count the changes.

Actually my idea was mostly to get a general feeling on how much do we
commit in general and maybe on per language, that way if we start seeing
less and less commits from the French team we can ask them about that or
trying to help them in some sense.

And also, as the quarterly reports are meant to be an overview of each
team, this kind of metrics are quite useful in general terms (obviously
not as a qualitative/quantitative metric for the translation project
team).

Cheers,