Re: xkeyboard-config: GNOME help for non-GNOME project needed, for GNOME3 release

Sergey,

The update is really massive. I do not mean to be disrespectful, but why
did this happen?

Since I am also the coordinator of Bulgarian at the Translation project,
I have kept a close eye on your module. As you can see from:
http://translationproject.org/domain/xkeyboard-config.html
I have translated 100% of 2.1-pre1's 769 strings.
When I updated to 2.1.99, the stats are:

362 translated (47%)
426 fuzzy (55%)
145 untanslated (19%)
141 obsolete (18%)

Percents are relative to 2.1-pre1's strings

This is really a *huge* change for a in-version transition and you give
out quite a short notice.

I thought that I had made proper planning for your module because it is
visible and important part of the configuration of the graphical
interface.

GNOME 3.0 is a hard target for us, I do not know if my team will make it
to 100%. Still we do have a second chance as there will be a subsequent
release of 3.0.1 about a month later, distros will actually ship it or
extremely quickly migrate to it.

xkeyboard-config has 3 releases a year as this page states:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/XKeyboardConfig/ReleaseSchedule
If we miss 4 April (and this is likely), will you do an interim point
release?

Furthermore, the same page promises a two week string freeze period. The
TP robot mailed me today, this corresponds to 9 of April, not 4.

And lastly - your project is definitely not new. On the contrary, it is
well established, with FD.O history going back to 2007, and GNOME
history before that (and I know because I have been translating this
project for almost a decade as seen from the bg.po headers). Please
think of some kind of message string stability - you *do* have the
experience for that.

Again - no disrespect for your project which I use every day, but please
consider translators' tribulations as well.

Kind regards:
al_shopov

/ 769 2.1.99 Alexander Shopov 362 / 933

В 12:45 +0000 на 26.03.2011 (сб), Sergey Udaltsov написа: