Re: String additions to 'gnome-control-center.master'

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 12:04 +0100, Johannes Schmid wrote:
> Hi Richard!
>
> > Well, being blunt, there isn't going to be a network control panel for
> > 3.0 if I don't add a few more strings.
> >
> > NetworkManager 0.9 landed a few days ago, and I'm working day and
> > night to get the network panel in some kind of state for release.
> > That's going to me a few string additions, which I apologize for.
>
> Thanks for clearifying. I think the best would be to have a clear
> dead-line when you think this work is finished so translators don't waste
> to much effort hunting each and every string before.
>
> I would propose to give you freedom to change strings in network panel
> till March 21 (hard-code freeze). That should give everybody two weeks to
> translate the remaining strings. Any later addition really needs approval
> from i18n (despite release-team/doc-team).

I would really rather it be done before then. Networking is
a huge topic set in the help. It's not just about the strings;
it's about the whole user interaction. If that's not settled
in time for us to spend real time on it at the docs sprint,
then our networking help will almost certainly suck.

Richard, I know you're working hard on this. It's just that
there's a lot of people, from documentation to translation
to marketing, who have to work hard as well when stuff like
this changes so late.

I know this stuff is important, and I've been patient about
it so far. But if we can't come out of the docs sprint with
something we're proud of, I'm going to feel really bad for
wasting the foundation's money.

Thanks,
Shaun