Re: Translating schema files

Þann lau 30.okt 2010 15:54, skrifaði Gil Forcada:
El ds 30 de 10 de 2010 a les 11:30 +0200, en/na Johannes Schmid va
escriure:
-------
Hopefully with Damned-Lies with git this translator will have more time
to do their job instead of opening terminals :)

+1

-------

I could also go further and separate the platform as a second-step
translation, that way a translator path for reaching the glorious 100%
should be:
- translate the ui
- translate the errors
- translate the schemas
- translate the platform

+1
Prioritizing translation work is a must. Being able to catch new/changed UI-strings as soon as possible is a must.

Most places I'm translating (Gnome, KDE, Openoffice/LibO, TP, Launchpad, etc.) there have been discussions about categorisation of strings, some different roads have been proposed, but I think the above proposition by Gil is quite realistic.

It's not about egos, it's about splitting the work into small chunks so
that translators can start working on the stuff that 99% of the users
will see and then, if they have time (note that only 50 teams out of 120
reach the 80% mark) work on adding an extended experience with schemas
and errors translated.

It's not about egos, it may not even be about Gnome per se; for many translation teams it's about user experience and to have a fully translated Desktop Environment (which may depend on more strings than come from the DE of choice).

And the users I'm mostly concerned about are *not* those who are likely to see much of the 'deeper' error/config messages.

Best regards,

Sveinn í Felli