Re: Survey results (yay!)

Op Vr, 2010-10-29 om 00:11 +0100 skryf Gil Forcada:
> Hi!
>
> El dj 28 de 10 de 2010 a les 22:54 +0200, en/na Petr Kovar va escriure:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Gil Forcada <gforcada gnome org>, Sat, 16 Oct 2010 13:11:16 +0200:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I'm really proud (and shamed for the delay) to finally present to all of
> > > you the first survey to our GNOME i18n community!
> > >
> > > First of all, a BIG THANK YOU!! to all coordinators who replied [0]
> >
> > And above all, big thank you, Gil, for this magnificent work! It really
> > uncovers a lot, and enables us to think about our project management &
> > planning in some quite new ways. It was a great idea to conduct such a
> > survey in the first place.
>
> Actually I miserably fail to send the (for me, and I hope for lots of
> teams also) most important point:
>
> In the same way that there's gtk+ and gtk+-properties, i.e. two po files
> for a single module, it would be extremely useful for translators if ALL
> schemas were going to a different po file and thus having a double
> effect on translators:
> - know which strings are actually visible to the users
> - reducing a lot [1] the number of strings to translate to reach the
> glorious 80%
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] I want to gather some number to enforce my point before sending a
> proposal (if as a gnome-i18n team agree on this) to the release team. If
> anyone wants to spend some minutes getting this data would be lovely :)

Hallo Gil

Do you want to find all gconf schema strings?

If that is what you want to do, it is very easy with pogrep from the
Translate Toolkit:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pogrep

If you have all the files in directory/, something like this should give
you what you want:

  pogrep  --search=locations  "schemas.in"  directory  gconf

and the output will be written to the gconf directory, containing just
the strings that have "schemas.in" in the #: lines.  Then it is easy to
count the strings and words to work out the percentage:
pocount gconf
pocount directory

That should give the answer.  I'm quite interested to know this myself!

Friedel

--
Recently on my blog:
http://translate.org.za/blogs/friedel/en/content/quote-week-why-you-cant-fix-everything