Re: Translating schema files (was: Re: Survey results (yay!))

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 12:01:29PM +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:30:51AM +0200, Johannes Schmid wrote:
[...]
> > I feel this is the pseudo discussion for teams reaching yx % while it is
> > far more important that it is convenient for the user. You can have 95%
> > without translating nautilus and the user would still feel that half of
> > the translation is missing. These numbers are just for our egos...
>
> The discussion is about helping teams to identify low priority strings
> and not waste time on them when more user visible stuff is still
> untranslated, so I don't see how pseudo is that.

Here is a real example; I just updated gnome-shell translation, the
first ~800 untranslated words are all schema strings, I would have spent
the whole day translating those, but at end of the day there will be no
visible difference to more than 90% of our users. Instead I skipped to
the actual UI strings and was able to make the Shell fully translated to
mos of our users by just translating as few as extra 40 words!

(gnome-shell is an interesting module of its own, the schema to
non-schema word count is 3 to 1!).

Regards,
 Khaled

--