Re: Translating schema files (was: Re: Survey results (yay!))

2010/11/1 Jorge González González <aloriel gmail com>:

>> There's no automatic way to split errors from the GUI strings, so
>> it'll be a huge amount of work for programmers (and require sustained
>> maintenance work), while the benefit to translators is not significant
>> IMHO.  But I'd really like to see all the useless schema strings
>> separated out.
> IMHO error and schema strings should not be translated. Whenever I try
> to find help in Spanish when a software crashes, I usually get few or
> null feedback from the error in Spanish (in my case), but tones of pages
> and websites when I paste the same error in English into Google.
>
> And the normal user will never search for those errors, only advanced
> users, so I guess we're not helping them much translating error and
> schema messages.
>
> Besides, I bet there are hundreds of strings in GNOME that the final
> user will NEVER, ever see.

You're wrong when speaking about "normal user". Normal user:
1) either use Google or NOT for searching problem solutions;
2) should be able to fix the problem with no external help (google,
friends, tech support). If not, then the software is wrong, the error
messages are wrong, but the errors localisation is ok.

So though I'm for separating schema messages, I'm against separating
errors from UI messages.

Ihar