Re: Cathedral, bazaar models and DL

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 12:17 +0200, Jorge González González wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> as a consequence of the Slovak GTP status, I also asked my team whether
> they are happy with our model and so on. Looks like we will probably try
> a bazaar like model, and I would like to know how the rest of the teams
> are modelled.
>
> In any case, in DL only one person can reserve a module. May this be a
> problem?
> Besides, I'd like to ask, if someone sends a comment over a module
> without having reserved the module first, does DL send an email to the
> team?
>
> Thank you very much. Cheers.

Hi.

I think there is no golden bullet, and golden model too. If coordinator
have time to review all the translations in reasonable time it's better
than just not doing so. I don't know the situation in other languages,
but in Belarusian (which I coordinate for GNOME) there are big problems
with spelling, and grammar, and lexics, and consistency among all (!)
contributions. And situation seems not to advance though every time I
get new translation I send review results to translator.

This situation is the result of current minor language status and lack
of fluent language speakers with good technical knowledge in community.

So if I just drop the review task and let others "do what they want"
then we will result in "pidgin-like" translation not Belarusian. Yes,
percentages could be a little higher, but users won't get good results
for any software at all and will just turn back to Russian or English.

Of course, it depends on the language, and major ones can have more
bazaar-like model.

Just my 5 cents.
Ihar