Re: Birthday and aniversary

> Yes but you've got only one spouse (normally)... Maybe should the
> string "Anniversary" changed to "Anniversary (other)" to make it clear
> it's no birthday.
> In my understanding "birthday" was something including the year like
> DD/MM/YYYY, "anniversary" was something that occurs every year at the
> same date like DD/MM. The definition in the Wiktionary says the same:
> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anniversary (I note than in English it
> can also been understood as wedding anniversary).
>
> But if I watch http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/birthday I can see that
> my understanding was "birthdate" of "date of birth".
>
> It's wat is called in French "faux-amis"...

"Birthday" is usually the celebration of the day of the year when the person was born. "Date of Birth (D.O.B.)" is what we use to describe when they were born. "Anniversary" on its own is usually Wedding Anniversary, but in these enlightened days it may refer to a couple's Civil Union.

Regards,

Malcolm

--
Technical copy-editor & proofreader