Re: Translating subtitles for GUADEC

Op Di, 2010-07-13 om 18:20 +0200 skryf Sense Hofstede:
> Hello,
>
> You may, or may not have noticed the video message from European
> Commissioner for the Digital Agenda, Neelie Kroes, appearing on the
> GUADEC website, <http://guadec.org/>. The direct link is
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok100U4Fo3Y>, it is indeed hosted on
> YouTube.
> The advantage is that it won't drain our own (privately owned) server
> and that we can offer the video in multiple formats. (The downside is
> that we can't use HTML5.) Another advantage are provisions for
> subtitles. As you can see there are subtitles for English and Dutch
> for the video I just linked. This helps people who find it hard to
> understand spoken English, and people with hearing problems.
>
> My aim is to make subtitles available for all videos we will to post
> on the GUADEC YouTube channel -- <http://www.youtube.com/user/GUADEC>
> -- and try to translate them to Dutch by myself as much as possible.
> However, I would be very happy if there would be subtitles available
> in more languages, especially Spanish, French and German (in that
> order :)), since GNOME is, of all the European countries, the most
> used there.
>
> I would like to ask the people on this list whether they could give me
> any tips for existing translation infrastructure we could use (just
> sending plain text files would be fine too for me) and I would like to
> ask if there are any people on this mailing list that would like to
> help translating the subtitles.
>
> I've got timed English subtitles available, which should be easier to
> translate than a transscript, but if you'd prefer to translate from
> the transscript that would be fine too.

Hi

I guess most translators here would prefer to use their existing PO
editors.  The Translate Toolkit has a converter that can create a POT
file from many subtitle formats:

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/sub2po

This is available since version 1.4.0 of the Translate Toolkit.  This
way people can use their existing editors and workflows.

Let me know if you need any help with this.

Keep well
Friedel

--
Recently on my blog: