Re: Lithuanian gnome-office translations

2010.07.07 01:35 Gintautas Miliauskas rašė:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I coordinate the Lithuanian translation team, and as I understand,
> today is my turn to be the punching bag :)
>
> Let me try to explain the situation. Tomas has been maintaining some
> GNOME translations, notably, GNOME Office translations, for quite a
> while now (several years at least). Recently, Žygimantas Beručka, a
> member of the Lithuanian team (and an ex-coordinator) updated the
> gnumeric translation and committed it. Žygimantas fixed translations
> of some terms (including "File", more on that later), and added some
> new translations. Since then, Tomas has been waging an all-out war on
> multiple fronts (including emails, a public webpage in English and in
> Lithuanian (!), and finally this complaint to gnome-i18n) and
> demanding to revert to his previous translation.

That page was created before you or Ž.Beručka ever touched these
translations. This page is not about war. It only asked to respect my
opinion on "file" translation. I know how GPL works, know that I gave up
my copyrights on translation and I asked only for respect. If translators
have moral standards, they respect work of others. Ž.Beručka choose to
ignore it. Running "find & replace" is a lot easier than doing whole
translation. War in emails started when he (and you) ignored personal
emails and reacted only after public outcry.

Like page on my site said before some angry person removed that clause two
days ago, Ž.Beručka could replace "file" if people on Lithuanian mailing
list agree on term. My point was that there are different opinions and
people can't agree on one word. I am pretty sure that he never asked
mailing list about it. Even if I missed it, he could point me at mailing
list archives or show voting results. If situation changed and I am the
only "byla" person left, then he would not have any problems in replacing
the term. Now my attitude is definitely changed and I won't agree on term
change even when Supreme Leader asks for it. He does not respect me and he
does not have any moral rights to impose own term version on me.

--
Tomas