Re: Lithuanian gnome-office translations

Hi!

First, please keep you mails as objective as possible without accusing
people or trying to guess their reasoning for doing something. That's
pretty impolite.

> Current Lithuanian translation maintainers don't have time and resources
> to maintain existing gnome-desktop translations. Lithuanian translation
> degrades and they started setting priorities for translated packages. I am
> asking to restrict Lithuanian Gnome team members' access to gnome-office
> translations and to allow me update those translations individually. They
> don't respect my contributions to Gnome and they mismanage the team. I
> don't ask for write access to gnome software repository. I can accept
> setup where someone updates translations from bug tracker reports or
> vertimus as long as Lithuanian Gnome team does not corrupt my
> translations.

Well, from the statistics, the translations seem to be rather complete.
Giving that is is at 91% while three modules (anjuta, gdl and package-kit)
are not translated at all I feel that the language has good support. I see
no obvious reason why the current coordinator fails to archive a complete
translation.

> * Failas is best translation of word "file"
>
> Failas is direct derivative from English word. There is no native
> Lithuanian word failas. In Lithuania we call such things "anglizmas". Use
> of such words is usually discouraged. Yes, "failas" is commonly used in
> Lithuania, but it is foreign word and does not deserve endorsement in
> translations.

You may understand that nobody that doesn't speak your language will be
able to have any opinion on that. This is something you have to clarify in
your team. If the majority of the team votes for this translation you will
have to accept it even if you don't really like it. Every language has
these terms where you can ask if they are translated correctly.

> * They made translation consistent with Gnome. This translation is
> accepted by majority.
>
> They made translation inconsistent with other Gnome Office translations.
> These people don't represent majority of users. They only placed
> themselves in strategically important places and pushed their
> controversial changes ignoring complains of others. Gnome did not use
> "failas" until Ž.BeruÄ?ka unilaterally decided to replace existing
> translations. Ž.BeruÄ?ka replaced the only Gnome Office translation that
> had translator's veto on "file". He didn't do it to make translation
> consistent with Gnome. He did it to show off his power over translator and
> his privileged situation.

Well, GNOME != GNOME Office. It if is translated in all other GNOME
modules it is consistent to do it in GNOME Office as well. Nobody
represents the majority of users. As I said, if the majority of your team
thinks the translation is wrong, feel free to complain here that the
coordinator is unwillig to change it even so you have valid arguments and
he hasn't.

> * I am not active translator
> * My contributions are not significant.

I didn't look into the statistics closely, but you worked on several
translations so if they responded this to you it's wrong. BTW, no
contribution is insignificant!

> In order to prove my commitment I will post translation updates on
> Vertimus and ask gnome-i18n mailing list to commit them, if translation
> team members don't commit those translations timely. I will also file bug
> reports and raise alarms on mailing list, if team members modify or
> replace gnome-office translations without contacting me. Especially when
> their modifications involve controversial changes.

Nobody will commit your translation against the will of the coordinator.
And everybody who does can expect to be in quite some trouble as he
clearly broke rules of the translation process.

To conclude: Discuss that in your team. If your opinion on some terms is
really a majority opinion that is not accepted, please prove that.

Regards,
Johannes