Re: Connect Plone to GNOME's translation infrastructure (was:New GNOME Website - Translation)

Am Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:10:53 -0500 schrieb Shaun McCance:

[..]
>> The rough plot is to provide xml that needs to be pulled, transformed
>> to po and put in the repositories. The (faily plone centric
>> description) with an link to an example xml file is described here:
>> <http://live.gnome.org/action/edit/GnomeWeb/Plone/Translation>
>
> http://dev.plone.org/archetypes/browser/Products.Marshall/trunk/
Products/Marshall/tests/input/atxml/Document.xml

> So that's an example of the sort of XML file that would have to be
> processed?  Just looking at the example file here, without seeing a full
> specification, there are a lot of problems with respect to
> internationalization.  I'll summarize a few, but I highly recommend you
> read the following:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/
> http://www.w3.org/TR/itsreq/
>
> First, it looks like you're shoving lots of different types of content
> into the field element.  See here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#DevElemNames
>
> This means that vastly different processing is required for the same
> element under different circumstances.  This can cause lots of
> headaches.
>
> More importantly, from what I can tell, the payload of the page is
> XML-escaped inside a field element.  See here:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-i18n-bp/#AuthMarkupAsText
>
> This is a pretty serious design flaw, and it can cause loads of problems
> for internationalization tools.
>
> Is this format set in stone?  Does it come from upstream?

More or less. I didnt invent it. I'll modify it, so only i18n relevant
fields are contained. This format was initially not made for
translations!

For all types and folders we have

<dc:title>
<dc:description>

I think for "Documents" we can strip it down to one additional field with
an XHTML snippet in:

<field name="text">

For News we have additional:

<field name="text">
<field name="image">
<field name="imageCaption">

For Events we have additional

<field name="text">
<field name="location">

Theres not much more we need to translate. Maybe additional types (we may
have 2-3 of them for now) needing one or two other fields, thats it.

At the end I need a translated duplicate of the file, which can be pushed
back to the CMS.

An open question is how to proceed with images? I'd propose to not
translate images embedded in news and events, but have a possibility to
translate the "Image" Types (having fields for title+description),
because as far as i know its planned to use them as banners or put other
images with pixel-text images on the site.

regards
--
Jens W. Klein - Klein & Partner KEG - BlueDynamics Alliance