Re: Application names (2)

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 10:35:36AM +0200, Claude Paroz wrote:
> Le jeudi 13 août 2009 à 12:13 -0300, Leonardo Ferreira Fontenelle a
> écrit :
> > The menu standards discussion reminded me of something I wish I asked
> > here a long time ago. Let's consider "Eye of GNOME" / "Image Viewer" as
> > an example.
> >
> > "Eye of GNOME" is without a doubt a proper name. When it is translated,
> > what do maintainers expect: actual translation ("Olho do GNOME") or
> > transliteration only?
>
> In my opinion, such names should not be translated, except for
> transliteration depending on the script used.

For Arabic, we tend to translate application names when it makes sense.
For example, transliterating Bug Buddy or Eye of Gnome will give long
ugly meaningless names, while translating it helps maintaining the same
user experience that English users get. Names that are unrelated to
applications function, like Firefox, Thunderbird and acronyms like GIMP
or usually transliterated.

Regards,
 Khaled

--