Re: Modified strings up to release date

El lun, 22-09-2008 a las 17:43 +0200, Claude Paroz escribió:
> Le lundi 22 septembre 2008 à 09:53 -0500, Shaun McCance a écrit :

> > > Sorry Andre, but I completely disagree here. The choice is not the one
> > > you presented. I could say the same with other freezes. E.g. with the UI
> > > freeze : do you want better and more polished UI rather than well tested
> > > and documented but minimal and uglier ones because of the freeze...
> >
> > As I've pointed out before, this analogy doesn't hold water.
> > It's not a matter of making the documentation more polished.
> > It's a matter of making it correct.
> >
> > If a program needs a string addition to give a user information
> > in the case of some error, that's polish.  If the documentation
> > is telling you to click on button XYZ, but button XYZ does not
> > exist in the program, that's just flat out wrong.  There is no
> > point in translating that sentence, because there are exactly
> > zero users who would be helped by reading it.
>
> I don't contest the need to correct this, but the timeframe to do it.
> Moreover, freezes have exception processes, so obvious and critical
> errors could still be committed.
>
> > > It's a matter of process. When you put a freeze in place, you're simply
> > > telling people that they have to do their job in a specific timeframe.
> > > The objective here is to have updated AND translated docs.
> >
> > Stormy had a great blog post a few days back, talking about
> > how project releases are constrained by time, resources, and
> > scope.  We currently have a fixed amount of time, and have a
> > very difficult time increasing our resources (i.e. writers).
> > Our scope (i.e. documentation quality) suffers.
> >
> > If you decrease our time without increasing our resources,
> > documentation quality will suffer.
>
> Please, please... we're talking about a some (3?) days freeze in a
> schedule of six months.
I totally agree.

> > Please don't claim there is no respect for translators, as
> > you did in a previous email.  That's pure flamebait.
>
> When you pass tenth of hours to translate a big document and you see
> half of it unvalidated by an update some hours before the release, try
> to imagine the feeling of the translator...
>
> >   I put
> > a lot of work (along with Danilo) into making translators
> > able to do documentation with po files.  I wrote an entire
> > DocBook toolchain in part because the existing solutions
> > didn't serve our translators well.
and we are verey grateful, belive me, now translating the help files
is much more easy, that's probably why there are more files translated.

> > I have put a lot of development time into making sure you
> > can have properly translated documentation.  But I will
> > not take precious time away from our few valiant writers,
> > just so you can have a translated version of a document
> > that's not even correct or helpful in English.
well, obviously is good to have updated documentation, but if you can't
read it because you don't speak/read English, you probably care the
same, which is nothing.