Re: Modified strings up to release date

Le lundi 22 septembre 2008 à 11:01 +0200, Andre Klapper a écrit :
> Am Montag, den 22.09.2008, 07:01 +0200 schrieb Jorge González González:
> > there have been modifications of document strings up to the very same
> > date of release, this is very sad. We already talked about "freezing"
> > somehow doc translations so we could do our job, but developers keep
> > updating it up to today.
> >
> > I know there is no freeze for docs, but still, you, developers, cannot
> > think we can translate like this.
>
> I think we have this discussion in release-team every time we meet.
> It boils down to the problem "Having better (updated) english
> documentation vs. having more translated (but outdated) documentation".
> Pick your poison.
> For me it looks less useful to have translated but outdated docs.

Sorry Andre, but I completely disagree here. The choice is not the one
you presented. I could say the same with other freezes. E.g. with the UI
freeze : do you want better and more polished UI rather than well tested
and documented but minimal and uglier ones because of the freeze...

It's a matter of process. When you put a freeze in place, you're simply
telling people that they have to do their job in a specific timeframe.
The objective here is to have updated AND translated docs.

I'm also sure that maintainers have enough work to do the last week-end
before the release, ensuring a good and bugfree tarball is delivered.

Claude