Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 3:48 AM, Andre Klapper <ak-47 gmx net> wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 31.10.2008, 09:56 +0700 schrieb Theppitak
> Karoonboonyanan:
>> How about this one?
>>   http://linux.thai.net/~thep/shots/gnome-logo/gnome-ok.svg
>> (Sorry, this one is the real ugly.)
>>
>> Hopefully it's not an offensive sign in some culture. ;-)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_gesture#Okay
> It can be quite offensive in Brazil (Mexico and Paraguay were also
> mentioned in one article I've found, don't know).

Apparently it's offensive to all Latin America.
The story goes that when Richard Nixon visited a Latin American
country, there were hundreds of local government officials waiting at
the tarmac, with red carpet and all.
Nixon appears from the airplane, raises both arms, smiles broadly and
does that gesture to them with each hand.

Simos