Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 17:25 +0700, Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> The problem I've met is a kind of barrier for new comers, as foot is
> considered the least respected part of the body in my culture.
> It's not that kind of disgust you explained. But it's a sign of strong
> disrespect. You should not point with your foot. You should not
> expose your foot toward others, bare or with shoe on. Raising foot
> over one's head, the most respected part of the body, by any means
> is a most obvious sign of disrespect. When sleeping, you should never
> point your foot to Buddha's image.

We all believe you, I think. Thanks for telling us about this.

To make something happen, I guess you need to suggest a particular
design. Then the GNOME board could approve it - you need to ask the
board for a simple yes/no decision or it won't happen.

Maybe you could contact the GNOME Art team. They could make some
suggestions. Don't focus on the "Gnome" idea. Few people think of small
mythical beings when they think of GNOME. Unfortunately, I don't have a
good suggestion. Some other form of "G", maybe?

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com