Re: problem with translating totem

O/H Mohammad Foroughi έγραψε:
please fix this fatal error first, and try again.
(or post both the msgstr/msgid from that line number here if the error
is not clear.)

Ok, I fixed it:

mf mf:~$ msgfmt -cv ./Desktop/po/totem.HEAD.fa.po 405 translated
messages, 19 fuzzy translations, 73 untranslated messages.

mf mf:~$ sudo msgfmt ./Desktop/po/totem.HEAD.fa.po
-o /usr/share/locale-langpack/fa/LC_MESSAGES/totem.mo
But the problem still exist :(
One thing that you do not mention is what distribution you are using to test your translations. From the previous e-mails, you grabbed the PO files for what we call HEAD (or trunk), which can be slightly different from, let's say, the totem version you get in Ubuntu 8.04. For example, in totem in Ubuntu 8.04, the original message could be something like "Skip _me: " but in the latest development version of Totem, it could have changed to "Skip _me:" (notice the space different). Thus, while a fully translated HEAD PO file is excellent for the new version of Ubuntu, for the current version some messages may not show up.

If you really want to have all messages appear as you have with your .HEAD.po files, you may want to compile the latest version of GNOME, using JhBuild. However, this task is somewhat technical and requires resources in terms of disk space and bandwidth.

The typical workflow for (some?) translators is to translate as much as possible, and near the string freeze, you install a test/beta version of a distribution (such as Ubuntu). Because the messages between what is in the PO file and the Linux distribution will be ~100% identical, you can do easy and comfortable testing/quality control.

To sum up, continue translating and doing rough testing at the moment, and do the proper quality control near the string freeze time (around August/September?), using something like an Alpha version of Ubuntu of that time.

I hope this helps,
Simos