Re: [mr] Marathi co-ordinator -- how can i wish you get a svn account, so that team gets listed in mango ?

Hi
  I have no objection is Sandeep taking up the responsibility if that helps improve the current situation. I haven't been able to spend time on the coordination activities. It would be better to give this responsibility to someone like Sandeep who has been active in the field for some time now. I am here to help in whatever way I can.

thanks

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
On 7/30/08, sandeep shedmake <sandeep shedmake gmail com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:
> > On 7/16/08, sandeep shedmake <sandeep shedmake gmail com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >       How I can wish Marathi Team co-ordinator get a svn account
> somehow?
> > >
> > > Getting an account desperately might help:
> > >
> > > 1) Marathi getting listed at
> > > https://mango.gnome.org/new_account.php page as one of
> the
> > > Translation Teams that contributes actively into GNOME translations
> (GNOME
> > > 2.22 Marathi == approx 80% translation status was achieved).
> > >
> > > 2) Avoid relying on others within the team for upstream commits and
> > > resolving urgent bug fixes (I guess only one Marathi team member has svn
> > > account).
> > >

> > > 3) Might Reduce some amount of overload on translators within the team
> --
> > > won't have to worry atleast for upstream commits chasing the person
> around
> > > for upstreaming files :) --just a pun.
> > >

> > >       Additionally, if there is any other alternative procedure that
> would
> > > help Marathi getting listed in the Mango Translation Teams do let me
> know.
> > >

> > > Waiting for the reponse & Thanks in advance.
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > > Sandeep Shedmake
> >
> > This is backwards. Please read
> >
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/RequestingAnAccount
> for our
> > account policy first. By having a quick glance at the files from
> > http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/mr/gnome-2-24, I get the
> impression
> > that Swapnil hasn't been very active since 2003 or so (please correct
> > me if I'm wrong). Only fairly recent personal contributions count, so
> > unless he starts contributing again, or provides some evidence that he
> > has contributed recently, his account request will remain rejected. No
> > coordinator gets an SVN account just because he or she is a
> > coordinator. Contributions is what counts, like is the case for
> > everyone else.
> >
> > I feel that you would be in a much better situation if you in the
> > Marathi team decided on who will be the coordinator *first*, before
> > even thinking about accounts. Once the Marathi team coordinator
> > situation is sorted out, you may go ahead with requesting accounts
> > (for yourselves). If the current coordinator is non-responsive, please
> > see the bottom section of
> >
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/StartingATeam
> for
> > instructions on how to proceed.
> >
> > Or if you are happy with the current coordinator, please follow the
> > updated instructions on
> >
> http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/RequestingAnAccount
> and
> > http://live.gnome.org/NewAccounts (and use the e-mail
> method) for
> > requesting an account for yourself.

> [...]

I understand your concern about coordinatorship, but for a small team
it might not be much work involved. The full list of responsibilities
is at http://live.gnome.org/TranslationProject/TeamCoordinatorResponsibilities,
but for a small team the work may to a large part resemble simply
acting as a contact person for the team.

Nevertheless, we need a coordinator for each team, for various
reasons. Someone has to do it. Please discuss it inside your team and
please let us know the results.

Swapnil Hajare
dreamil.indictrans.in