Re: Slowness in farsi translation

On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 10:20:08PM +0300, Tomas Kuliavas wrote:
> >> If Sharif Linux is 100%
> >> translated, it can't be explained by limited number of packages and
> >> Linux
> >> distribution differences unless Persian Gnome 2.10 translation was close
> >> to 100% and it degraded to 74% in 2.14 due to lots of changes in
> >> translations. I don't think that translation can lose 25% of strings in
> >> just two major Gnome releases.
> >
> > I don't understand this line of reasoning at all. Please explain.
> > Where did you get your numbers from? What do you think happened?
>
> http://l10n.gnome.org/languages/fa UI stats
>
> Gnome 2.14 - 74%
> Gnome 2.16 - 74%
> Gnome 2.18 - 68%
> Gnome 2.20 - 63%
> Gnome 2.22 - 55%
> Gnome 2.24-dev - 51%

This pretty normal course, as the translation got less contribution with
time, not the sudden suspicious drop that you were suggesting.

> Sarif Linux is some customized redhat/fedora based distribution. It uses
> Gnome 2.10. I don't have information about standard Gnome 2.10 UI Farsi
> translation stats. Screenshots look fully translated.

The screenshots don't tell much here, if I'm careful enough, I can make
an 80% translated gnome look almost translated by setting perioroties
and ignoring less visible strings (command line help messages, all those
.schemas strings and such).
The point is that spreading talks like this, which some might even see
it as mere FUD, and accusing people based on mere imaginations illogical
conclusions doesn't make a healthy environment at all.

Regards,
 Khaled