Re: Rethinking "Supported language"

2008-02-19 klockan 14:55 skrev Wouter Bolsterlee:
> My proposal is: only use the modules from the developer platform, desktop
> and administration tools when calculating the 80% coverage statistic (i.e.
> all module sets but the developer tools).

(I'm replying to myself since that is the start of the thread—I'm not
replying to any particular message, but to the thread as a whole.)

It seems like I have started a debate about whether the Development Tools
suite *should* be translated. Speaking for the Dutch community: I don't
think the Development Tools suite should be fully translated to be useful
for our Dutch speaking users. I'm very aware of the fact that this is
different for many other languages.

To sum up my opinion/intention:

  - The modules in Development Tools suite should be translated like any
    other module.
  - However, there should be a lower priority for modules in the Development
    Tools suite than for Desktop and Developer Platform modules, since
    they're less visible to users.
  - The '80% rule of thumb' should not take the development tools into
    account, since the intended audience for localized desktop does not
    match the intended audience for the modules in the Developer Tools
    suite.

My proposal is really, really simple:

  Don't count strings in the Developer Tools suite to decide whether a
  language should show up in the release notes as being 'supported' (i.e.
  80% string coverage). That's all.

Please stop flaming and wasting other's time and reach consensus. So far
I've counted a few people agreeing with my proposal, and a bunch of people
flaming about stuff only peripherally related to my proposal.

Thoughts?

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

i know secrets :: i've never been told                       -- heather nova