Re: Import from Launchpad

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 08:54:52AM +0100, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Yesterday at 20:22, Djihed Afifi wrote:
>
> > +1 from me for Khaled Hosny to get launchpad team coordinatorship. He
> > sent an email earlier.
>
> I've emailed current coordinator so I am waiting for response.
>
> >> Solving social problems is really up to social elements: people.
> >
> > I hope that you don't mean that this is a social problem.
>
> "Social" as in involving people and communication, versus "technical"
> problem (since it's completely possible to restrict access to any of
> the languages in Ubuntu to whoever you wish).  There is no way we
> could have fixed the problem without people approaching us and telling
> us something is wrong.

There have been *loads* of complaints on planet gnome about this. I know
various questions have been asked directly as well. However, just
because someone needs to communicate the problem doesn't make it social.

If some language doesn't want Ubuntu to change their strings (especially
as they have real evidence that the quality decreases), then this advice
should be followed.

If I read
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/rosetta/+bug/188907/comments/8, then it
is a problem within Ubuntu that the quality is subpar. Currently the
efforts are focussed on improving that quality instead of following the
wish of the GNOME translator teams.
e.g. with remarks such as
| 'However, that might also remove bug fixes'

I further don't understand the response to
| - Upstream teams get bug reports about strings that are correct
| upstream but have been changed in launchpad

You are suggesting to push launchpad bugs to GNOME Bugzilla and that
GNOME teams should check things in Ubuntu. While the issue is that GNOME
Bugzilla gets complaints because Ubuntu changed the translation.
Meaning: quality decreased and GNOME people get bugged about things they
aren't responsible for.

| Since we can't accept the simple solution of disallowing Ubuntu
| translations through Launchpad

This pushes the problem towards GNOME translator teams. Now they
have to coordinate with one distribution. I have seen some of the
translations that occurred for the Dutch language. The quality was
*really* bad. Meaning: the translation contained stuff like 'Paste' was
translated into 'Insert' (forgot the exact translation, but it didn't
make any sense), etc. Theoretically Ubuntu might want to change the
translation somehow... but I wonder if that really occurs in practice.
Especially with some of the really bad translations that have I've seen.

> I am pretty sure you are aware that even GNOME has had it's own share
> of bad translation coordinators for certain languages, and they have
> only been changed when someone else stepped forward.

I don't see how this is relevant. This is about fixing a problem that
occurs for certain languages where Ubuntu overrides the upstream
languages.

--
Regards,
Olav