Re: integrating vertimus in damned-lies

O/H gil forcada έγραψε:
> during the GUADEC Danilo make a call to help in GTP[1] and after this
> (he will put the minutes somewhere I think) with him, Vincent, Sílvia
> and me we discuss about Vertimus[2] (in action[3]), a kind of
> damned-lies but with users and keeping track of who is working in which
> module and that sort of things
>
> all 4 agree that this could be really useful to be integrated in
> damend-lies but it's not that easy as copy a bunch of files

I agree as well, and this would be very useful for some translation teams in
Fedora as well. I am looking forward to this project and willing to help out.

> vertimus is written in php+mysql+cron (to get the po files from GNOME
> SVN) and damned-lies is written in python
>
> OTOH we can take advantage of damned-lies since the cron will not be
> necessary, but in a ideal world the accounts would to be integrated in
> GNOME LDAP, so it's not only rewrite from php to python (plus changes
> here and there) but we have to talk to the sysadmins guys

So the thing is that both backend-based authentication (eg. LDAP) and app-only
one (eg. with simple registration) should ideally be supported.

Maybe this is a good chance to talk a bit about TurboGears. I've been working a
lot on DL lately, and on an addon for it written in TG. Maybe I'm just not used
to do it or I'm just a lazy programmer, but I admit that it was much more fun
hacking in TG in an MVC style than plain python code.

The two projects (transifex and vertimus) have similar (new for DL)
requirements: need to access the model a lot in RW mode (non-XML), require form
handling and authentication. If there is a moment to discuss the (even remote!)
possibility of porting DL to a web framework like TG, now would probably be it. :)

BTW, the fedora infrastructure has created a TG-based package that talks to the
fedora account system, which could be used by GNOME to talk to the GNOME account
system. If this happens, hooking up a TG-based app to GAS would be as simple as
installing the package on the system (either with deb/rpm or with easy_install)
and writing 3 line thing like:

  from gnome.accounts.gas import AccountSystem
  gas = AccountSystem()
  user, groups = gas.get_user_info(username)

The downside would be that there will be some initial work (not much I think
since DL already uses SQLObject and Cheetah templates) and a learning curve for
existing contributors. However both of these are trivial compared to the
maintainability IMO.

-d

--
Dimitris Glezos