Re: ubuntu translation credits

> Beno�Dejean wrote:
>> They steal our work.
No, they just behave not optimally.

Yavor Doganov wrote:
> I don't understand this.  Everyone is free to fork our translations
> and keeping the credits (in the translator-credits string) is not
> mandatory.
Yep, there should be a clear notice whose ass to flame. People do no
understand that Ubuntu's versions are not those of upstream.
I have bugs in our bugtracking system that are Ubuntu's fault.

> Whether forking is a good thing is another matter -- I
> agree that often it's suboptimal and a waste of efforts, especially if
> these "forks" are not merged upstream or at least offered for review.
I would second that saying that it is extremely suboptimal.

Something has broken in the chain of communication.

Ubuntu's contributors are free to make their own translations, but I
believe the enthusiasm of the people there will be curbed when they
realize that they are  unnecessarily repeating jobs already done and
that they can be much more productive helping, rather than supplementing us.
> However, AFAIK they change the copyright to something like "Rossetta
> contributors", which is illegal if they remove the original copyright
> notice.
Is there anyone that can handle the situation with tact and patience so
that we can rather help each other rather than mess things up and start
discussions of legal and illegal behaviour?

Kind regards:
al_shopov