Re: ubuntu translation credits

On 24/09/2006, at 5:25 AM, Toby Smithe wrote:

Wouter Bolsterlee wrote:
2006-09-23 klockan 21:09 skrev Toby Smithe:
I do work on the Ubuntu en_GB translation, as some of you may know. I agree it is hard to merge upstream translation changes, but apart from that, Rosetta is a superb interface. Inexperienced volunteer changes are
not committed, as approval into a team is required.

The main problem with the Dutch (nl) translation has been solved some time
ago: there where *way* to many people in the team contributing crap
translations. Now that every member of the team has been removed and only
added back after approval by the coordinator, this is not much of a
problem
anymore :)

Well, I'm sorry to say this but that was rather the fault of the
coordinator, as the team should have started out as being approval- only
membership from the beginning. However, I still completely understand
your feelings.

I was a bit distressed today to be told that at Software Freedom Day in Hà Nội on the 16th, Ubuntu CDs were distributed "which Ubuntu had localized in Vietnamese". I know most, if not all translations on that disk were from my team (upstream work here, at KDE, Debian and in single-program projects like Mailman, Fonforge, Inkscape etc.) It does indeed feel unfair to see Ubuntu taking credit for our work. I have seen our translator names removed from PO files in Ubuntu, and in general, I'm unhappy about this situation.

Due to the continuing access-control and quality-assurance issues in Rosetta, I have advised my team not to use it. The "Ubuntu Vietnamese" statistics on Launchpad represent my team's work upstream. :(