Re: RFC: going to add 2.18 branch

2006-10-04 klockan 21:10 skrev Abel Cheung:
> On 10/5/06, Wouter Bolsterlee <uws+gnome xs4all nl> wrote:
> > > I have done the necessary changes to switch to 2.18 release and
> > > drop 2.14 branch data form status pages. It's ready for commit.
> > > If anyway still like 2.14 to be there, please shout aloud, otherwise
> > > I'll go ahead and commit the change (and pray).
> >
> > Please don't remove the gnome-2-14 branches right now. Several large
> > distributions are shipping this version and sometimes it's useful to have
> > the translations available from the l10n-status pages when handling
> > translation issues reported bye users.
>
> While I agree this is a valid reason to preserve it, here comes another
> question: how to decide?
>
> - Ubuntu dapper could be using 2.14 for _3_ straight years
> - Mandriva, if following its 1-yr release schedule, may not ship 2.18 at all
> - Solaris (well, I don't even know its release schedule)
> - .......
>
> It's hard to draw the line here.

Agreed, those decisions need some thought. However, with 2.16.1 only just
released, having the previous release on the status pages does not seem a
'curiosity for the historicians among us', but rather an overview of 'what
do normal users see right now'.

  mvrgr, Wouter

--
:wq                                                       mail uws xs4all nl
                                                      web http://uwstopia.nl

never thought i'd fill with desire                                -- placebo