Re: string freeze confusion

Today at 3:20, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>> Now we are getting the problem of defining "obvious".  Was it obvious
>> that this string should have been marked or not? :)
>
> I covered that in the next paragraph ;).  No, it's not obvious.
> Go ask 10 GNOME devs, 9 will tell you not...  Those who think it
> should be marked for translation probably don't know about the
> localized digits thing either.  Roozbeh, do you mind drafting
> something about this on the wiki?

I don't think I agree.  There are more issues than just localised
digits.  Think of reordering variables, or different parentheses (as
Roozbeh mentioned).  It's not obvious to many developers, but neither
is ngettext obvious to many developers, yet it is clearly obvious to
someone with i18n background :)

And this is partly covered in

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/gnome-i18n/developer.html#split-sentences

since it's a sort of undesireable string concatenation.

Cheers,
Danilo