Re: Announcing new team for bn_IN

On 6/29/06, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu gmail com> wrote:
On 6/27/06, Christian Rose <menthos gnome org> wrote:

<..snipped>

> Thanks Taneem for your reply. I would also like to thank you very much
> for your past involvement.
> It seems you were not entirely convinced that there was a real need
> for a seperate bn_IN. Could you please enlighten us why?
>
> In a similar manner, could you Sayamindu please enlighten us why you
> are convinced there is a need for a seperate bn_IN translation? We
> usually require rather solid motivations why translation efforts for a
> language should be split, so could you please explain and summarize
> the significant differences in written Bengali and/or terminology that
> you think warrants the split efforts.

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply - I have been travelling lately:

Bangla/Bengali already has split locales as bn and bn_IN in most of the major
distros like Fedora [http://i18n.redhat.com/cgi-bin/i18n-status], Debian
[http://www.debian.org/international/l10n/po/bn_IN], Ubuntu
[https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-bn-in  and
https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-bd].

Correction: Ubuntu has Bengali translation - officially.
Ref: https://launchpad.net/rosetta/groups/ubuntu-translators/

Best,
`Jamil