Re: Translations for LSR project

Clytie Siddall wrote:

> I have a <sigh> licensing question. How does such a statement affect
> those of us who have already assigned our translation copyright to
> the FSF (for example, translators who contribute to The Translation
> Project)?

This is not a problem, IMHO.  The copyright assignment papers that
we've signed to FSF refer to the translations which we are willing to
assign copyright to the FSF.  For me, this is every single translation
I make, but it totally depends on you.  Also note that the Disclaimer
of the TP is *not* actually a copyright assignment, e.g. the FSF does
not act as assignee.  For that you need to write to assign gnu org

I'm considering this is a good idea, because imagine the following
scenario, which in fact actually happens sometimes:

The copyright holders of Foobar decide to relicense the program from
GPL to BSD-like license.  Someone takes the BSD code and makes a
derived proprietary version.  In order to include my translation,
they'll have to ask approval from the FSF, which won't be given (in
fact it won't be given to relisence it to BSD at first instance).  So,
it better protects our work and ensures that it will never enhance
non-free software.  Unfortunately, people sometimes change their mind
about freedom.

--
"Every non-free program has a lord, a master --
and if you use the program, he is your master." --RMS