Re: Translations for LSR project

On 6/1/06, Peter Parente <parente gmail com> wrote:
We've recently imported a new project called Linux Screen Reader
(http://live.gnome.org/LSR) into cvs.gnome.org. The code is set up to
support internationalization using autotools. I was informed that
gnome.org has a team of translators that can provide localized strings
for any project on request. I think that's great and would love to
have LSR localized.

The LSR code is in Python which means use of the pygettext.py script
is preferred over the standard gettext program. We have automated the
use of pygettext.py and the generation of POTFILES.in using a script
in our CVS module. We have documentation on how to use this script at
http://live.gnome.org/LSR/PyautoGuide#i18n.

Translation by the GNOME Translation Project requires the use of the
gettext and intltool tools, so that for example the pot file can be
generated simply using "intltool-update --pot" inside the po
directory. Until that succeeds, translation of the module by the GTP
is unfortunately a no-starter.

These requirements are there not only because our automated online
translation status tracking tools assume this behavior in all modules,
but also since all written documentation for our many hundreds of
translators describe this process. Many of our translators are
linguists and not programmers, so any module with a diverging behavior
isn't likely to get much attention.
For these reasons we unfortunately cannot currently list any module at
all which doesn't meet the intltool compatibility requirement.

There are many pieces of software in GNOME CVS which are written in
Python and which work with intltool just fine, so while I do not know
any of the details in this case, it still sounds very strange that the
use of Python would require a different tool than gettext.

I don't know if the following page can be of any help:
http://www.gnome.org/~malcolm/i18n/

Regards,