Re: Markup in messages

On 7/25/06, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
This is the wrongest approach to solve this problem, and indeed what
Roozbeh has had in mind.  In the case of Chinese fonts with no bold
variant, there are a lot of possibilities on Linux.  First, with the
latest version of the text rendering stack, we should be emboldening for
you on the fly.  Second, if you want to replace bold with italic, you
can do that with a fontconfig configuration file.  There is a bug
against Pango to make artificial bold and italic faces even show in the
font selection widget.  That way, there's really no excuse to not use
bold faces (unless you are dealing with a bitmap font of course).

As I replied in another subthread, that kind of approach is
of course wrong, _right now_. Artificial emboldening is
available for quite some time in freetype, and works for
chinese (though distro only catch up around 1 yr ago).
In the old days things are a bit different -- there is
no artificial embolden in freetype, no fontconfig/xft,
nothing.

Abel

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Dan Bern, "New American Language"

--
Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF