Re: New workgroup in Brazil - traduction to Guarani lenguage

On 2/19/06, Boca <boca riseup net> wrote:
>   Hey guys!
>
>   First of all, thanks a lot for the hot reception. =]
>
>   Well, about the Guarani language spoked in Brazil and Paraguay, I really
> think that they're diferent languages. So, I think it's better use the
> gn_BR symbology.

In my opinion, it would be better if we could start with a unified
"gn" code for the Guarani translations, at least as long as there are
no efforts for providing *different* Guarani translations.

That way;
1) the "gn" Guarani translations will benefit both gn_BR and gn_PY and
any other gn_XX users at the same time. For example, if there would be
only a "gn_BR" translation, gn_PY users would never notice.
2) all Guarani users will notice that some translations exist, and
perhaps be inclined to help improve them.
3) if some Guarani users are unhappy that the existing translations
use a significantly different dialect than their own, then they can
announce and start a separate translation effort at that time.
4) any later and specialized gn_XX translation can easily
automatically "extend" the original gn translation, due to how glibc
works with locales.

I see hardly any point in unnecessarily dividing and specializing the
translation effort as long as we do not have seperate efforts for the
different dialects.
If a translation should be restricted to a particular country and not
be available for users in other countries, then that decision should
be based on very hard evidence that the dialect in that country is
significantly different enough to be of no use to users in any other
country, *and* there should already exist different efforts providing
translations for different dialects.

So, to sum it up, as long as people are not *sure* that the
translations will be of no use for Guarani users outside Brasil
(saying "I think" is a little too weak here), and as long as we do not
have teams providing different Guarani translations for different
countries, I think we better use a common "gn" code for the
translations.

But that's just my opinion.