Re: Democracy Localization

On 18/04/2006, at 7:29 AM, Chris Lahey wrote:

Hi there gnome translation team.

Hi Chris :)

I'm curious whether the gnome translation project provides localization for other apps. In particular I now work for the Participatory Culture Foundation and we're planning to use gettext to internationalize both the app democracy player and the website getdemocracy.com. We're still working out exactly how this will work, but I decided to do research about finding translators.

I would recommend you contact the Translation Project [1] which accepts application files from any open-source project.

We have people who would be willing to translate, but many of them don't have experience with gettext and many of them are on Windows or OSX. Are there any good tools for translating gettext files on either of these OSes? Are there any good web based tools for translating gettext files?

I'm an OSX translator, so you're welcome to refer other OSX translators to me. I use LocFactoryEditor [2], a free translation editor which handles PO and PO compendia, XML/Docbook and TMX, HTML, and Appleglot files Work Glossary files (localizing Mac OSX application bundles). I recommend it highly. I test it for the developer, who is keen to support open-source translators.

Please see the Translate Wiki [3], a central resource for translators. In particular, please see the Localization Guide, which includes a comparison of the available translation tools for different systems. There is also a lot of key information about the different projects, methods of translation and resources.

(On PoEdit, I donated to the "port PoEdit to Mac" project many months ago, and there have been no results that I've heard about.)

Is the gnome translation project willing to take on the translation of a relatively small cross platform app like Democracy? How about our website? Do you all have experience translating websites and have any suggestions?

Website translation hasn't become a unified target in any way, yet. The Translate Wiki has information on what is available, for example Omega-T [4], a cross-platform website translator. In the current environment, you will probably do better to separate the application and website files, as far as process goes. however, you can talk to the TP about that.

I know these are a lot of questions, but I'm mostly looking for information right now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I hope I've given you some of that information. Please feel free to ask more questions. I'd also recommend you look at Pootle. [5]

Good luck with your translations! :)

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)

[1] http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/HTML/

[2] http://www.triplespin.com/en/products/locfactoryeditor.html

[3] http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/

[4] http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html