Re: gtk+ non-update

On 17/04/2006, at 5:22 PM, Gora Mohanty wrote:

To answer part of your question, there is usually a good reason that
some packages have a different numbering scheme, usually because they
are also used independently of GNOME.

In some cases, perhaps, but not in all. I've corresponded with developers about this, who've said they didn't realize how it affected translators, and it didn't make any difference to them, so next time they would use the standard branches/nomenclature.

So keeping it to an absolute minority would help. :)

I also found remembering unusual
branch names a problem, till I realised that one could get the
appropriate branch name from l10n-status.gnome.org, for the particular
version of GNOME to which the commits are to be made. Maybe this fact
needs to go into the GNOME translator's HOW-TO.

I know you can see the branch on the status page, but when you are doing a lot of updates, continually, it is easy to forget that there are a few files which don't fit the pattern. I certainly don't go back to the status pages every time I update and commit a file, and I don't think it's efficient to build that into our workflow.

The most useful reminder is the filename, which contains the branch, and is an active part of the translation task. However, for these few, non-standard files, it's easy to forget to check the filename every time, too.

It's not all that useful to have a standard way of doing things, if some people ignore it.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)