Re: is there any use to keep translating gnome 2.10?

On Sat, 2005-06-11 at 14:52 +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 12:13, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
>
> >> What are you going to do with string freeze breakages?  I.e. if you
> >> ship a tarball which has "_Borwse", and it's later fixed in CVS and
> >> translations are updated, this is going to end up untranslated, right?
> >
> > Not really, as our .pot files will not get that string breakage, the old
> > translation will remain.
>
> But msgmerge (and by extension, intltool-update) removes the very
> similar translation (one fuzzy is based on) instead of marking it
> "obsolete".  So, such translations would be lost in the PO file you're
> fetching from CVS, so it won't help.  Unless you're re-using the
> translation from the tarball as well.

We are using a database to store translations so, in that case, we will
miss only the changes done between last import into Rosetta and the one
we import from CVS.

> It's an excellent idea, but it has to be executed very carefully,
> that's all I'm saying (generic GNU gettext utilities are not
> sufficient AFAIK).

We don't use gettext utilities to do the merge, we import the .po files
inside our database and our own code handle the import so we don't lose
the changes done in Rosetta or the specific updates done by Ubuntu
translators.

Anyway, thank you for the warning.

Cheers.