Re: non-latin accelerator keys

On 27/12/2005, at 1:54 AM, Raphael Higino wrote:

Can't you use decomposed form? I.e. "_AÌlbum" (Pango should[1] still
show it the same, though it's in practice of a bit worse appearance
depending on the font; for reference, I used combining acute U+0301
after "A" here).

Yes, I could. But I still don't think it's necessary, since I could solve
the whole thing by using another letter as the accelerator (Also, I think
users wouldn't like that solution so much. At least, _I_ would critisize if
I saw a translation like that.).

Moreover, decomposed Unicode has much less uniform display quality.

I was using a decomposed keyboard layout for Vietnamese for several months, and the hassles I had with applications messing it up! On Mac OSX, for example, applications written in Cocoa would display it correctly (in browsers, e.g. Safari) and Carbon apps (Mozilla etc.) would mess it up, in a frustrating variety of ways.

One fascinating display eccentricity, in my text editor of all things, accents would become detached from their parent vowel and follow the cursor all over the page! You couldn't get rid of them. :D

It was maddening, though. You can imagine how frustrating it was writing html using this decomposed layout...

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)