Re: Should translators change source strings?

On 09/08/2005, at 4:12 PM, Adam Weinberger wrote:

This would save a lot of time, but how does it work with gettext? I thought changing _anything_ in a source string would make the .mo file fail on reintegration.

Not "source string" as in

# src/foo.c, 135
msgstr "pants"

I'm talking about editing a source string as in

vi src/foo.c +135
{
    printf("_(pants)");
}

Ah. This immediately eliminates a _lot_ of translators who aren't comfortable editing program source. Again, we'd probably have to nominate some key people (who were willing to do it) to make changes based on general translator community input.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)