Re: Should translators change source strings?

On 08/08/2005, at 11:18 PM, Adam Weinberger wrote:

Every module may have a file named po/README.TRANSLATORS. In this file, developers may put instructions such as "Only simple spelling and grammar fixes" or "Please make any change necessary" or "Do not make changes at all" or "You break it, you buy it". Absence of po/ README.TRANSLATORS will mean that translators have implicit permission to edit the source strings themselves to resolve simple, obvious grammar and spelling errors. (I.e. more complex or non- obvious changes will still require a bugzilla bug to be filed.)

This would save a lot of time, but how does it work with gettext? I thought changing _anything_ in a source string would make the .mo file fail on reintegration.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)