Re: "Apparent" string-freeze breaks in gok, gnopernicus

sön 2004-09-12 klockan 21.53 skrev Danilo Šegan:
> > As a side note of this discussion, it would probably be useful if we
> > could discuss intltool issues in terms of releases instead of something
> > vague and everchanging such as "CVS HEAD". I certainly hope that noone
> > never uses intltool CVS HEAD for anything but testing, and uses the
> > latest stable release for any serious translation work. I certainly hope
> > that the translation status pages uses nothing but the latest stable
> > intltool release, and *never* CVS HEAD of intltool. The translation
> > status pages should show what any translator should see if running
> > intltool themselves, using the latest stable release.
>
> That's sometimes hard to achieve.  For instance now with
> evolution-exchange, I've sent a patch that would allow translators to
> work on it.  Unfortunately, Kenneth was unavailable so it was
> impossible for it to get committed to CVS, and a release to be made
> (Rodney was probably busy with other stuff, since Evolution is a new
> module in Gnome, they probably have many things to do; I've never
> released a tarball and I'm not sure I'd know how to do that at all).
> This means that evolution-exchange will have sub-standard
> translations in upcoming Gnome 2.8 release.

As Abel pointed out, other people have been doing emergency releases of
intltool in the past. So it's definately doable, and I'm sure that
Kenneth doesn't mind.

> If, OTOH, we used patched version of intltool for status pages,
> translators would be at least able to grab PO files from the status
> pages, and work on that.  It would have improved state of
> evolution-exchange translations IMHO, even though it would deviate
> from the rule you prefer.

Please *no*. There are two ways of translating GNOME: Either by fetching
pot/po files from the translation status pages, or by generating the
pot/po files directly from CVS. The results of these methods should
never differ.

People are already confused much as it is, we don't need to take the
concept further by forking our own tool with different patches applied
all over the place and requiring translators to always apply themselves
the menu du jour of intltool patches.

Lets keep it simple. The latest stable intltool release is what counts
for GNOME translations at all times, both for translators and the
translation status pages.
If you fix an important intltool bug, try to make sure a release gets
made, and if that's not doable, make a release yourself. Requiring
translators to keep up with patches or manually patching the translation
status pages with the patch du jour is out of the question. End of
thread.