Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:28:24PM +0300, Metin Amiroff wrote:

> Pablo, if this is the case, will it require any changes in glibc locale
> data and OpenOffice translation work?

libc has some translatable strings, but nothing has been done
in Azeri yet:
(as for locale data; no, nothing needs to be done)

For, I think it uses its own fixed locale naming,
independent of the libc, so maybe having "az" and "az_IR" is not
a problem for it (but if "az" is changed to "az_AZ" it may be more
logical to do it everywhere).

That being said, I just realised that the fallback for untranslated
strings will always be in latin script anyway, be it English or
Azeri in latin script; so maybe they will prefer fallback to Azeri
latin anyway (it would be more complicated if it were the other way;
or if a language used two (or more!) different scripts that are not
latin script.

So, after all, keeping "az" for Azeri in latin script may be a good
idea after all (as for charset encoding both Azeri in latin script and
Azeri in arabic script strictly require UTF-8, so there isn't a problem
here either (and even if it was, the problem wouldn't happen with Gtk2,
only with Gtk2 and Xt and the like).

Same reasoning goes for Turkmen and Kurdish too.

Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]