Re: [Fwd: Re: New string in gnome-control-center]
- From: Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org>
- To: GNOME I18N List <gnome-i18n gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: New string in gnome-control-center]
- Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 18:27:29 -0500
On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 10:56:48PM +0000, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Ar 01/03/2004 am 14:28, ysgrifennodd Jody Goldberg:
> > >
> > > I assume by "discarding settings" you mean that the .xmodmap file will
> > > be ignored in GNOME (rather than being actually deleted or anything).
> > It will actually be read and applied then erased when the settings
> > daemon runs.
> The .xmodmap file is deleted? If so, that's more serious than I
> realised. Let's just add the string and be done with it.
It is not deleted. However, the sequence of events is going to
confuse even technical users
1) X startup loads the xmodmap from the file(s)
2) gnome-settings-daemon starts up and wipes out the settings
Note that a confused user can easily throw a test between (1) and
(2) to see if (1) was actually run (yup it was). Then they will
check to see if their server is broken by checking to see if (1)
actually did anything (yup a dump of xmodmap will show things)
Which leaves them wondering why things disappear later. The
connection to (2) is not at all obvious.
] [Thread Prev